Welcome to the North America Region (NAR) Website
Invitation to ComSoc-NAR Webinar Series
Date: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 10:00 AM Eastern Time, 07:00 AM Pacific TimeModerator: Wahab Almuhtadi, IEEE Communications Society
TOPIC: Ad hoc Nanoscale and Molecular Communication Networks
Speaker: Stephen F Bush, Researcher, General Electric Global Research, Niskayuna, NY, USA
REGISTER now for live webinar: https://ieeemeetings.webex.com/ieeemeetings/j.php?ED=225928537&UID=499823632&RT=MiMxMQ%3D%3D
Call-in toll-free number: 1-866-2030920 (US)
Call-in number: 1-206-4450056 (US)
Show global numbers: https://www.tcconline.com/offSite/OffSiteController.jpf?cc=4484601404
Conference Code: 448 460 1404
1. Go to https://ieeemeetings.webex.com/ieeemeetings/mc
2. On the left navigation bar, click "Support".
To add this meeting to your calendar program (for example Microsoft Outlook), click this link:
Please encourage your chapter members to attend these webinars. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Feb. 25, 2013 ComSoc-NAR Webinar Series
The ComSoc-North American Region will launch a series of several webinars starting March 2013. The webinars will be presented by very well known speakers. The webinars will be announced and sent by email also will be available on http://ieeemeetings.webex.com. Please encourage your chapter members to attend these webinars. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feb. 19, 2013 To all ComSoc-NAR Chapter Chairs
The 2013 Chapter Questionnaire will be e-mailed in March by Carol Swaim and Carole Cornin (also the form on the web will be updated). Please complete the questionnaire for 2013.
Our Social Media sites are expanding – our Marketing Department can help announce the news of your chapter on the ComSoc blog. It is just need a brief introduction of the events. The activities are local, and the reputation of your chapter will be reached globally.
Also our Marketing Department will be more than happy to help your chapter create a Facebook page. Here's the link for Chapters who already have the Facebook pages -http://www.facebook.com/IEEEComSoc/app_277250679013023.
“Gentle reminders” will be sent to make sure your chapter’s meeting reports for last year have been properly submitted to IEEE.
Mehmet Ulema our Director of Membership Programs Development is in charge of Member –Programs (email below) see url http://www.comsoc.org/about/MemberPrograms
- Chapter Funding
- Distinguished Lectures Tours
- Chapter Awards
- Membership Development Support Grants
Your input on the following questions would be appreciated. Please send your comments to email@example.com or, preferably, go to the links Nelson has set up for each Region at:
1) What are the programs and initiative your chapter most appreciates?
2) What are the major difficulties your chapter faces?
3) What do you think could be done to improve the activities of your chapter?
4) What do you think could be done to increase the membership of your chapter?
Please don’t hesitate to contact your Regional Directors (emails below) or Carole and me if you have questions. As always, we look forward to working with you!
Vice President – Member Relations – Nelson Fonseca - firstname.lastname@example.org
Director - NA Region – Yigang Cai - email@example.comDirector – Membership Programs Development Board – Mehmet Ulema - firstname.lastname@example.org
2012 North America Region Chapter Chairs (East and West) Congress - NAR RCCC (PLease visit RCCC webpage)
Wednesday Dec. 5, 2012 (Reception: 5:00 p.m.– 7:00 p.m.),
Thursday Dec. 6, 2012 (Meeting: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.), and
Friday Dec. 7, 2012 (Meeting: 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.)Location:
Disney’s Grand California Hotel, Anaheim, California
Held during GLOBECOM 2012 (Monday – Friday) December 3-7, 2012
ComSoc Regional Director, Yigang Cai, announced that ComSoc will host a Regional Chapter Chairs Congress for NA Chapters. The Congress is being scheduled in conjunction with IEEE GLOBECOM 2012 scheduled in Anaheim, California (see http://www.ieee-globecom.org/
The dates for the RCCC are 6-7 December and commencing Wednesday evening, 5 December with a NA RCCC Welcome Reception (from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.) in the Grand California Hotel, The meeting will take place Thursday from 8:30 to 5:00 p.m. and on Friday from 8:30 to 12:30 p.m. ending with lunch. (Meeting room to be determined.) Our purpose is to encourage sharing, feedback, and networking among chapter chairs, staff, and ComSoc officers.
So…mark your calendars and let me, Carol Cronin (email@example.com
), Carole Swaim (firstname.lastname@example.org
) and Yigang Cai (email@example.com
) know if you plan to attend. Staff will make and guarantee your reservations (confirmation # will be provided).
Name of chapter chair or representative:
Name of companion (if applicable):
Total number of nights in Hotel:
Room type (single/double):
Smoking or non-smoking room
Please send the following information to me, Carol Cronin (firstname.lastname@example.org
) no later than Thursday, October 25th
to get into our room block. If you do not reply by this date you will have to make your own reservations, pay for the room and expense it at the end of the trip.
Date: Thursday, 8 November 2012, 11:00 AM Eastern, 08:00 AM Pacific
Live Free Webinar from IEEE Communications Society…Register now http://www.comsoc.org/webinars
for live webinar on:
Topic: LTE-Advanced Modes Coming to Life: From Simulation to Practical Implementation, Testing and Verifcation
MODERATOR: Stan Moyer, IEEE Communications Society
Dr. Vafa Ghazi-Moghadam, R&D Engineer, Synopsys
Simon Ache, Product Manager, Rohde&Schwarz
Charles Sturman, u-blox.Date: Thursday, 18 October 2012, 11:00 AM Eastern, 08:00 AM Pacific
Live Free Webinar from IEEE Communications Society…Register now http://www.comsoc.org/webinars
for live webinar on:
Topic: Synchronization in Next Generation Telecom Networks
Speakers: Expert panel from IEEE Communications and ITU-T standards Committees.
Nelson Fonseca, Vice President of ComSoc Member Relations, Mehmet Ulema, Director of Membership Programs Development, and your four Regional Directors, it is my pleasure to announce the following winners for the 2012 IEEE Communications Society Chapter Awards Program.
- FIRSTLY, congratulations to our MONTREAL CHAPTER for being selected the Communications Society’s 2012 CHAPTER-OF-THE-YEAR. This is no small achievement and we applaud the accomplishments that led to their being chosen from among all our ComSoc chapters worldwide. Montreal Chapter will be honored in two ways: the chapter will receive a plaque/honorarium of $2000, and its chair will attend IEEE GLOBECOM in Houston, TX to be honored during the Awards Luncheon ceremony.
- NEXT, congratulations go to our four 2012 CHAPTER ACHIEVEMENT AWARD winners. For years the CAA has been (and continues to be) awarded to chapters that provide their members with high-level programs and activities. This year the Member Relations Council selected four outstanding chapters – one from each of the four REGIONS.
This year’s winning Chapter Achievement Award recipients are:
Asia/Pacific New Zealand North & South
Latin America Ecuador
North America Montreal
Each chapter recipient of the CAA receives a plaque and honorarium of $1000. Additionally, those chairs or representatives already planning to attend IEEE GLOBECOM will receive complimentary tickets to the Awards Luncheon and be recognized publicly for their chapter’s achievements.
Note to Chapter Chairs:
Remember, to be considered for these awards, chapter chairs complete the yearly questionnaire which is e-mailed during the first quarter of each year--and which includes a section that provides the Council with information that is the basis for selecting our winners.
IEEE GLOBECOM 2012 Registration is open
The IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM 2012) is to held on on 3-7 December 2012 at the Disneyland® Hotel in Anaheim, California. The theme of IEEE GLOBECOM 2012, “The Magic of Global Connectivity,” specifically matches the conference location, setting the focus on leading edge coverage of communications with and across all parts of our planet and into deep space.The IEEE Communications Society’s premier flagship conference will provide a unique opportunity to explore the leading areas of information and communications technology related to industry, academia, government, enterprise and other market segments from around the world. The relaxed setting of the conference, in the fabulous Disneyland Resort, will be especially conducive to networking with colleagues, friends, customers and vendors from around the world.
To REGISTER, please visit: http://www.ieee-globecom.org/registration.html
IEEE ICC 2012 Registration is closed.
The IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) has been the flagship event of the IEEE Communications Society.
The IEEE Ottawa Section is proud to host IEEE ICC 2012 Conference, Industry Forums and Exhibition from 10-15 June 2012 at the newly Ottawa Convention Centre which is located on the scenic banks of the Rideau Canal and embedded in the cultural center of Ottawa, the Canada’s beautiful capital city.
The ICC 2012 is expected to attract and bring together thousands of the world's industry leaders, scientists, academics, engineering professionals, policy makers, and government officials to the presentation of nearly 1,500 keynotes, business panels, technical papers, workshops and tutorials held under the theme of the conference is "CONNECT • COMMUNICATE • COLLABORATE". For participants it promises to stimulate the scientific exchange of ideas, the identification of future trends in communications, and the illumination of business opportunities.
- 8/24/2011: IEEE Sections Congress was held 19-22 August 2011 in San Francisco. The congress gathered 1,133 attendees from 92 countries. Gabe Jakobson was the primary ComSoc representative at the congress. The working sessions of the congress were grouped into 3 major tracks:
- IEEE to develop a comprehensive long-term strategy to increase the number of next generation youth pursuing science and engineering careers.
- As members maintain their IEEE membership over their years, IEEE must reward them for their loyalty. Rewards ought to be tangible and useful and can be done simply and inexpensively. Create Global Fidelity Programs including: (a) Continue membership Recognition 5-10-15-20 years of membership (b) Bonus for specific Benefits (e.g., reduced fee, IEEE merchandise, etc).
- IEEE membership (including e-Membership) should include a Society membership as part of the basic membership fee.
- Increased support to students in technical activities with grants to attend conferences and organization of technical competitions.
- To encourage interest in pre-university students in engineering careers, IEEE to publish a subscription periodical (paper or electronic) targeted to high school students that highlights engineering activities of interest to those students. The periodical should also have articles promoting the benefits of an engineering career
Check Featured IEEE Sections Congress 2011 ComSoc Photo Albums prepared by Ting Qian:
ComSoc Members at Societies Lounge
ComSoc Chapter Chairs Meeting
Exhibit Floor - Meet staff at IEEE Products & Services
ComSoc Presenters at Poster Session
- 8/24/2011. ComSoc Chapter Chairs Meeting at IEEE Sections Congress. Taking advantage that several NA Region Chapter Chairs planned attending the IEEE Sections Congress we decided to get together on August 29 and discuss the chapter activities, issues and plans in an informal free-form meeting. Although we were able to spare only 2 hours from the tense schedule of Section Congress activities, the meeting was effective and we were able to cover a wide spectrum of different issues. More on the meeting see at ComSoc news blog. http://bit.ly/nypdfg.
- 7/9/2011 ComSoc NAR Region 4 Strategic Discussion Meeting was held in Chicago.
Main discussion points: (1) Region 4 plans to serve our members;(2) local chapter activities; (3) membership development and building active local leadership; (4) technical activities); (5)issues and plans.
Last update: March 2, 2013