Under the Travel Grant Program, the Communications Society provides a limited number of travel grants to help Society students and other members attend major ComSoc conferences. The program includes two types of travel grants: Student Travel Grant (STG) and Discretionary Travel Grant (DTG). The following conferences are currently included in the program: ICC, GLOBECOM, INFOCOM, WCNC, NOMS, IM, CCNC and SECON.
The STG is considered only for student members applying to conferences organized outside their ComSoc home region. An applicant’s home region is defined as one of the ComSoc Regions, depending on the country wherein he/she currently resides or attends school. Conferences may have other sources for travel awards; e.g., the NSF (National Science Foundation) program supports travel for students studying at a US college or university.ه These NSF grant applications are evaluated and the grant decisions made by the conference’s Travel Awards Committee.
To qualify for the ComSoc STG the applicant must satisfy all of the following requirements:
- Is an author of an accepted conference paper and presents the paper;
- Conference is located outside applicant’s home region;
- Is a Student Member of IEEE Communications Society when submitting the application;
- Is a full-time student registered toward a Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. degree in engineering or related field in a college or university when submitting the application;
- Candidates may not receive more than one STG in any 12-month period.